Thursday, April 19, 2018

Case Study Research Topic 6

Response 6-1

The audience preferences will dictate that form of my case study report. I anticipate my audience being other lecturers, instructors, and administrators within the postsecondary environment. It is not unwise to assume that my audience would also be my dissertation committee. I am basing much of this on my own experience and knowing a common critique of proposed actions within the university. I aim to present the material with a lot of evidence. So often, we complain that things are given to us without having any scientific evidence. There is also not a clear indication of the procedures or who the subjects were. I aim to be clear and concise about how I implemented the study and how I propose to implement it on a larger scale within the university. This connection is very important. I will also keep it concise as administration does not often take the time to read long reports and will get lost in the details. I will include bulleted points to highlight important aspects.

Response 6-2

I plan on using a linear-analytic structured approach to my case study report. This starts with a description of the study, of the problem, and a review of literature. From there, I would report on the data collected, the analysis, and major findings. I believe that this would also speak to my audience who is most used to this layout in reading research. In fact, we even teach classes on how to read scientific research and this is the most common structure encountered.

Response 6-3

In Yin (2014), he reviews over what makes an exemplary case study. First, it must be significant, meaning there is something unique about this study and/or population. Considering a gap in research on mentoring with at-risk undergraduate students, this would satisfy this aspect. The case study must be complete, meaning that it fully explains the phenomenon. I do not feel that I would declare my study as done without fully exploring all found themes and codes. The study must consider other perspectives, which I anticipate exploring during my analysis. I will utilize all documentation, or evidence, in order to come up with my findings. Lastly, the study must be engaging. This will be the trickiest part since that will fall on my skill as a writing to captivate my audience.

Yin, R. K. (2017). Case study research and applications: Design and methods (6th ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment